Tuesday, January 05, 2010

An Exposition: Act I

1 - Int. Car - Morning - 1

SAM turns on the camera, suddenly and awkwardly filming the inside of his car. He mounts it on the dashboard and turns it to face the whole car. He speaks directly to the camera.

He starts driving.

SAM
Alright, January 16, (he checks his watch) 11:45 PM. So this is a little experiment I'm trying out. Many of you know my girlfriend, Meredith Friel, and some of you may also know - uh - Jesse Silliman. Anyway, Meredith really doesn't like Jesse for reasons I can't seem to fathom, and it makes Jesse really uncomfortable to be around her and me and it's just awkward. So today I'm picking them both up to hang out, and we'll see if they can be friends by the end of the day. I bought this little spy camera, and hopefully the whole experience will make a good submission for the Stoga Film Festival.

SAM pulls up to MEREDITH's house and honks twice.

SAM
Here she comes.

MEREDITH gets in the car. SAM makes a three point turn and leaves her driveway.

SAM
Hey cutie, how's it going?

MEREDITH
Pretty good. Where are we going for lunch?

SAM
It's up to you.

MEREDITH
Please just pick.

SAM
Is Chipotle okay?

MEREDITH
Yeah, it's kind of far away though.

SAM
Are you okay with waiting? Are you hungry?

MEREDITH
No, I'm fine.

SAM makes a left.

MEREDITH
Isn't Chipotle that way?

SAM
I have to stop somewhere really fast.

MEREDITH
Where?

SAM (smiling)
Don't worry about it.

MEREDITH
No, where?

On screen: BELLZ YEAH FILM PRODUCTIONS PRESENTS...
On screen: An Exposition
On screen: Act I

SAM and MEREDITH pull up at JESSE's house. SAM honks.

MEREDITH
Is someone else coming with us? I thought -

She sees JESSE.

MEREDITH
Oh (bleep), Sam, are you kidding?

SAM (over)
Meredith, it's a chance for you to get to know-

MEREDITH (over)
I already know him I don't like-

SAM (over)
He's my best friend-

MEREDITH (over)
I don't make you-

JESSE opens the door. The car falls silent. MEREDITH is pissed. She gets out.

MEREDITH
Jesse, you can sit up front.

JESSE
No, it's fine. You can have it.

MEREDITH
Just take it.

SAM
Hey guys, my coat is too heavy anyway. Just both of you sit in back and I'll put it here.

A beat, then they both get in the back.

SAM (looking at the camera, winking)
Just throw some of that stuff up here.

He pulls away.

2 - Int. Car - Morning - 2

A quick cut to a few minutes later.

MEREDITH and JESSE are staring out the window. The car is silent.

3 - Int. Car - Morning - 3

A few minutes after that. The radio is on. SAM mouths along to "Party in the USA".

MEREDITH (annoyed)
Could you turn that off? I have a headache?

SAM
What?

MEREDITH
Turn it off.

SAM
Oh, yeah, sure.

4 – Int. Car – morning – 4

Silence again.

SAM
So where do you guys want to go after Chipotle?

MEREDITH
Home.

JESSE (simultaneously)
Home is fine.

SAM
I kind of wanted to go bowling. Would that be okay with you guys?

Silence from the back.

SAM
Cool.

5 - Int. Car - Morning - 5

Silence still. SAM looks in the mirror.

SAM
So have you guys been to Chipotle before?

MEREDITH
I went with you last time and you forgot me in the bathroom.

JESSE
No.

SAM
Do you know what you'll get?

MEREDITH
I think two soft tacos.

SAM
They only sell them in ones and threes.

MEREDITH
No they sell them in twos too.

SAM
No, they-

MEREDITH
I got two of them when I visited Kenyon.

SAM
I think they're experimenting with a cheaper menu or something.

JESSE
Or you could just order two single tacos.

SAM
Well yeah but you waste money.

MEREDITH
You waste more money buying a taco you won't eat.

JESSE (over top of MEREDITH, agreeing)
It's more wasteful to throw out a taco.

They look at each other and laugh. SAM looks a little hurt.

6 - Int. Car - Afternoon - 6

The car is parked, and everyone is eating. MEREDITH has two soft tacos.

SAM
I can't believe they sold them in twos.

MEREDITH
I told you.

SAM
Baby I know you did.

JESSE
Meredith, thanks for the recommendation. This steak is great.

SAM
The chicken is better.

MEREDITH
No it's not.

JESSE
I don't like chicken. I thought you knew that.

SAM
Oh, I guess I forgot.

MEREDITH
His memory sucks.

SAM
No it - it's fine.

MEREDITH looks at JESSE and shakes her head secretly.

7 - Int. Car - Afternoon - 7

SAM is driving. MEREDITH and JESSE are talking in the back. They are warming up to each other.

MEREDITH
So what is this game called?

JESSE
Team Fortress 2.

MEREDITH
I've never heard of it.

SAM
I've told you about it like a million times!

MEREDITH
I don't think you have.

8 - Int. Car - Afternoon - 8

MEREDITH and JESSE are laughing. SAM looks annoyed.

9 - Int. Car - Afternoon – 9

They’re still laughing.

10 – Int. Car – Afternoon – 10

They stop laughing, slowly. A few giggles here and there.

SAM
Hey I’m going to stop to get some water real quick.

He pulls into the station and puts the car in park. He gets out.

SAM
Do you guys need anything?

MEREDITH and JESSE shake their heads, still laughing. SAM shuts the door and leaves.

MEREDITH
I still can’t believe she would call you that.

JESSE
I know! Isn’t that crazy.

They look at each other. Their eyes lock.

A beat, then:

They begin making out frantically.

Cut to black.

6 comments:

stephen said...

hahahaha...i thoroughly enjoyed that one. chipotle isn't THAT far away, is it? that's one long car ride.

Raptor said...

lol. I like it.

Jeff said...

hahaha,
this is fantastic!


hedablon

Meredith said...

I must say Meredith gets a little snappy, but I liked it way more than I thought I would. Way more

Joe said...

HAHAHAHA

Carissa said...

YES!!!
taken from true life i'm guessing