Thursday, January 08, 2009

Question Four

There is no question four. If there was, it might have been a question about the acidity of stomach acid, which I would have answered effectively and efficiently (in as few words as possible). I like to think it would have been something more, though - a question of free will, of whether the chemicals that circulate through our bodies control us or if we control them; a question of love, maybe, asking if we really feel attraction towards one another or if we are the simply the result of years of chemistry piled up; a question of fate that asks if we are masters of our own destiny or if we're just the result of some unfortunate cosmic joke; a question questioning the question that has had humans lying down on the ground and staring up at the starry night sky and pondering since the dawn of time: the question of whether we have any part in the process or if we're really just monkeys pulling levers. We may never know what question four was, but I hope it was something like that. I would have had a good answer.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I heartily approve.

Anonymous said...

This is why teachers should leave a blank question for students to answer on every assignment. :)

"I'm not going to ride on a magic carpet!" he hissed. "I'm afraid of grounds!"
"You mean heights," said Conina. "And stop being silly."
"I know what I mean! It's the grounds that kill you!"

Anonymous said...

Maybe there was no question four because he knew he couldn't live up to those standards. I recommend lowering them for future questions.

Molly said...

philosophical...

Ello Shertzer said...

Kitty!
That is an awesome post.

Anonymous said...

Wow. I didn't notice before. But you are so, so right.

Anonymous said...

Im on ur blog
scarin ur reeders.

Anonymous said...

What would you have answered?