Sunday, May 10, 2009

Guest Post 1 - My Turn To Speak

It always happens like this. They have become the most important people in the world to me but they are strangers to whom I have nothing to say. Months of preparation and planning have been wasted and my only thought now is of escape, because soon it will be my turn to speak. I start to hope that perhaps I will have a heart attack, or a stroke, or be struck by lightning and then the ambulance will come and rush me out of the building, onto the street, to the hospital. Oh the sweet relief of being strapped to a gurney and hurried away! But that doesn’t happen and soon it will be my turn to speak.

It always happens like this. I force the panic aside; I know what I need to do. I need to forget myself and my fear and think about what I know and what I need these strangers to know, things that I need to tell them, things only I know. I start to get that good feeling: it's game day, it's time to play, it's time to get it together because I can, because I do, every time, always like this. It's my turn to speak and I know what I will say. I start, "Ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury…"

By: My Mother

P.S. Happy mother's day, mom.

3 comments:

Sam's mom said...

Good present! Thanks buddy!

Carissa said...

=]

Anonymous said...

every time i read this[about once every hour] i think more of it.